The “Internet of Things” refers to the concept of creating a smart world by connecting just about anything with an on/off switch to the Internet. Smart home technology is a growing part of the IoT that involves connecting your appliances and other pieces of hardware in your home — giving you the ability to control them from your smartphone or another device. This includes everything from Nest thermostats to connected coffee makers and allows you to customize your home and automate many of your day-to-day tasks and experiences.
Some of the benefits of having a connected home include
- Convenience – Your alarm clock and can wake you up and notify your coffee maker to start brewing
- Security – Cameras, activity sensors, and programmable lights and locks let you know who is coming and going from your family’s home from anywhere in the world
- Efficiency – Smart thermostats can help you conserve energy by stabilizing power demand during the day and conserving power while you’re away
Benefits of Smart Garage Door Opener Technology
A garage door may seem like an unlikely candidate for an Internet connection. But, as one of the primary entrances into your space, there are many benefits of a connected garage door.
- Control your garage door from anywhere – You can open the door for friends and family and never again spend all day worrying that you might have forgotten to close the door
- Get activity alerts – Your connected garage door can let you know if your kids got home safely after school (and if they closed the door behind them) or that your door opened when it shouldn’t have
- Take full control of access to your home – You can control the garage door, lights and property gates
- Schedule activity – Set specific times for the door to open or close, and for the garage lights to turn on and off. For example, you can automatically close up for the night and turn off the lights in the morning to save electricity
LiftMaster with MyQ
LiftMaster is one option for adding garage door opening technology to your smart home. The LiftMaster device’s capabilities are controlled by the MyQ app, which allows you to access core features like activity alerts and scheduling. Along with the previously mentioned benefits of smart garage door opener technology, MyQ also integrates with an impressive variety of smart home systems, providing enhanced control options. Depending on your existing system’s devices, that could mean anything from adjusting the temperature of your garage to viewing a live video feed to voice control options.
Some of the integrations available include:
- Connects to Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit so you can ask your devices to check on the status of your door hands-free
- Network your garage door with other smart home devices using IFTTT for enhanced, customized control of your garage
- Works with Nest products to control your Nest Cam and Nest Learning Thermostat from the MyQ app
- Control your garage door from the in-dash touchscreen on your Tesla with LiftMaster
Visit https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/myq-connected-home for full compatibility details. The site also has a tool that walks you through the selection of the appropriate LiftMaster devices based on your current setup, making it simple for you to start experiencing the benefits of a smart garage.
Looking for someone to install a Liftmaster Garage Door Opener in your home? Contact RCS Garage Doors today!